Newport Harbor Baseball Association is excited to announce that coming Fall 2020, we will be launching the NHBA Mariners Select Program. Led by an incredibly talented coaching staff of professionals, the program will offer an elevated training, player development/fundamentals and play experience while keeping the community driven aspect that NHBA brings to the cities of Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Tryouts will be July 6th & 13th for the 9u and July 7th & 14th for 10u at Bob Henry from 5:00-6:30, and July 28th & 30th for the 11u/12u at Mariners Park 5:00-6:30. Teams will be selected by the coaching staff for each age. We will be fielding teams at the 9u, 10u, 11u & 12u ages following the travel ball age guidelines (not Pony age cutoffs).
9u May 1st 2011 – April 30th 2012
10u May 1st 2010 – April 30th 2011
11u May 1st 2009 – April 30th 2010
12u May 1st 2008 – April 30th 2009
Why should I consider the NHBA Mariners for my athlete?
· Professional coaches with years of baseball and youth coaching experience
· Best of both worlds: Opportunity for the young athlete to develop and play at a highly competitive level while continuing to be apart of the NHBA community program with peers.
· Field Access: Because of the long-standing relationship with the cities of Newport Beach & Costa Mesa as well as continuing as a non-profit with 501c status, the program will have priority for all fields during the fall.
· Path to Cooperstown: At the 12u age, teams will have the option of playing in the infamous Cooperstown youth tournament during the Summer. http://www.cooperstowndreamspark.com/
· Schedule: Mariners will play a combination of the local select league and a few optional tournaments through the Fall. With this said, our program will not be tournament intensive (3+ games a weekend every weekend) but more designed to emphasize player development and fundamentals.
Q & A
Q – Will the NHBA Mariners program continue during the Spring & Summer seasons?
Yes! While your athlete plays in their respective NHBA Spring Division, the Mariners Select teams will continue to practice once a week and play games on two Sunday’s a month
Q – How does this affect the traditional NHBA Fall Ball Program?
The Mariners program will compliment the NHBA Fall Ball Program and will not affect it in anyway
Q – What is the cost of the program?
While the specific cost is still being finalized, expect the total to be competitive considering the professional coaching & experience. Reason being; with the NHBA leagues backing, we have access to sponsorship programs and fundraisers. Also, as a non-profit the leagues field costs to the city are minute compared to for profit travel ball programs.
Q – Will the Mariners change anything in relation to the NHBA All-Star program?
No. The NHBA All-Stars selection process will stay the same as will the coach’s selection process. The league will consider changes to this in the future and possibly tie our Mariners coaches to the All-Star teams.
Q – What is the practice & game schedule expectations?
Expect 2 practices a week and 1 league game on the weekend. Tournaments will be decided collectively by the coaches and families at each level and would be an additional fee if applicable
Q – Where will practices & home game be?
All your favorite fields that make NHBA such a great part of the community. Mariners Park, Bob Henry, Kaiser, Sunset Ridge & Davis Lyons
Q – Do I have to play in the NHBA Spring Season to be eligible for the Mariners travel team?
In the spirit of the program being about the community and developing our local athletes for the future, it is mandatory that Mariners Select players also play in the recreational league alongside the Select for NHBA or NBBA in Spring 2021.
Any additional questions please contact our NHBA Select Team Coordinator at [email protected]